Friday, March 4, 2011

Some Guys Still Love to Play

As I read "Beyond the Fence" a book on townball by Josh Eidem, it became apparent that one of the themes was how hard it is to quit this great game of baseball.  His characters think of quitting and find it a tough thing to do.  One of the players, Johnson, who is a catcher, seems to come back over and over.  The guys love the game, but their bodies say it's time to quit. 

I started in Dundas in 1975.  You can imagine that I've gone through several complete changes of personnel over those years.  There is one player that stands out in my mind.  He is Rich Bordas.  Rich graduated from Apple Valley HS in 1983.  He went to Oral Roberts University and graduated in 1987.  He has played with Savage, Eagan, two Burnsville teams and the Dundas Dukes.  He has no plans to retire and will be 46 before the 2011 season starts. 

Last year Rich hit .349 while getting 51 hits in 146 at bats.  He plays any position in the outfield, fills in at first base occasionally and also does some DH duty.  I've never seen a player that enjoyed playing more than Rich.  If we had a rainout, he would almost cry.  In the 2008 State Tournament, we had some issues that made it impossible for three of our regular players to make the tournament.  Even though Rich had been a starter all season long, when everyone was there, he was the player that would often have to sit. Rich started, got some big hits against Chaska and played every game of the tournament.  On the final day, our centerfielder was pitching so I put Rich in Center.  Mankato hit shot after shot into center and Rich made all of the plays.  He played all of both games and had a great day overall even though it was 90 degrees out and other players were dropping.  He was named to the All-Tournament team at the age of 43. 

I asked Rich to tell me a few of his feelings on playing so long.  Here are some of his responses:  "I feel extremely fortunate to be able to make an effort at playing, though some might say that I can't, and they may be right. Who knows what each new year holds including this one. I only want to play if I deserve to play based on performance....Baseball is a nostalgic game. I play for the fun and the competition but also think that like many areas in life, it is about building memories. Plus it is a great change of pace from work and it keeps you young. And I like to hit. Hitting is just fun, in games, in the cage, it doesn't matter."  He's right--he can hit the ball.

A few memories from Rich:  "I played in MN every year since 1982 , except one year in a college league and one year where I only played a few games due to overseas for work. Very pleased to have stayed almost completely injury free. Essentially this year would be the 30th year, minus the 2 years. I figure 28 years equates to over 5000 at bats and maybe 1500 to 2000 hits, though really don't have any idea. I have never been overly concerned with the format or set up or rules, just want to enjoy each at bat."

He continues:  "I like the wood bats better because it limits the number of runs (compared with aluminum) and means that it is actually possible to make a difference with a few key hits. In games that used to be 15 to 12 in score, even if you were 4 for 4, it might not matter. (eg Luke Appert hitting 3 home runs and a double but his team losing a playoff game)."

"Saw many close teammates stop playing - wished that they would have continued to play, but as new teammates come on board, new friendships are made. Even though ball is now organized, when I am in the field now, I try to think back to make it like when I was a kid at the playground, just standing in the outfield and trying to not let anything fall. You run and get it and throw it in. Running isn't so easy any more, or rather, slowing down is not so easy on the knees. So its better to stand where you think they are going to hit it," quiped Bordas. 

"And I love to stand on the line with the anthem playing - so appreciative of this land of opportunity. I don't know why God gave me a passion for playing the game because the game is really not so important, but I am going to appreciate it and go with it, and see where the journey leads. And when it's over, its OK."

That is the kind of guy Rich Bordas is.  Class all the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment